Stay in a historic house at General Coffee Georgia State Park.
By Hope S. Philbrick
Book a stay at Burnham Cottage at General Coffee State Park in Nicholls, Georgia, and you may want to start wishing for rain.
When drops fall steadily upon this roof, the rhythmic soundtrack adds to the romantic ambiance of this 19th Century house. Rain also invites deep sleep. And eliminates any guilt you might feel about wanting to hang out inside your rented home rather than get out and explore the park.
Go ahead, soak in the clawfoot bathtub sipping wine while the rain falls. Or watch the storm from a rocking chair on the covered front porch. Or snuggle up in front of the fireplace. Or cozy up with a good book in the reading room. Or crawl under the hand-stitched quilts on the four poster rice carved bed in the master bedroom. You can hike tomorrow!
Burnham Cottage sets a rustic-elegant setting for romantic getaways. Exposed beam ceilings and stone floors are set off by Queen Anne period furniture, chandeliers and several stained glass windows. Each room is thoughtfully decorated. There’s art to appreciate, antiques to admire and books to thumb through.
The historic structure boasts a rocking chair front porch, large living room with fireplace, large master bedroom with fireplace, two bathrooms on the main floor including the master with stone shower and clawfoot bathtub, full-service kitchen, dining area and two additional bedrooms plus one more bathroom upstairs.
Of course, the home can also be appreciated in sunny weather. So, too, can the surrounding park, which aims to bring Georgia’s rich agricultural history to life with Heritage Farm that includes a cane mill, tobacco barn and corn crib and houses goats, sheep, chickens, pigs and donkeys. A four-mile nature trail and wetland boardwalk pass through a cypress swamp and offer glimpses of rare and endangered plants. There’s a four-acre lake for fishing and boating. And horse lovers won’t want to miss the 13.4 miles of equestrian trails.
Burnham Cottage is one of South Georgia’s best kept secrets. Share it with a special someone and create some fond memories, rain or shine.
- No pets
- Check in at 4 p.m.; checkout by 11 a.m.
- Burnham Cottage maximum occupancy is eight people
- Kitchen is equipped with an electric range, microwave, coffee maker, dishwasher, refrigerator, dishes and basic cookware; a barbecue grill is available outdoors
- Two wood burning fireplaces
- Outdoor fire ring
- Bed and bath linens provided
- TV with Dish Network and DVD player
- Heat and air-conditioning
- Minimum stay two nights
- Complimentary parking for up to four vehicles
- Stables not provided
- $165 per night
- Where to Eat… Don’t feel like cooking? Park Manager Wade Huffman recommends Fireside Pizza and Holt’s Bakery, both located in downtown Douglas, Ga., a short drive away.
- Odds of Encountering Children… Zero at Burnham Cottage, unless you bring kids along with you. 21 Plus Salute! Of course, odds are high within the state park overall, but with 1,511 acres, you can find solitude here.
General Coffee State Park
46 John Coffee Rd.
Nicholls, GA 31554
800-864-7275 or 912-384-7082
– Photos © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.