Waterfront retreat with city advantages.
By Hope S. Philbrick
Looking for a retreat that feels luxurious, private, exclusive, where you can really get away from it all? But you’re too much of a foodie to give up the option of going out for great dinners every night of your stay? Head to The Cottages on Charleston Harbor in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.
This collection of ten cottages feels completely remote, a hidden gem where you can really escape. The vibe is relaxed, far from hectic demands and daily routines. Yet it’s mere moments away from Charleston, the bustling Lowcountry foodie haven.
Nine cottages overlook the Charleston Harbor, one is on a lagoon. Every cottage is appointed with upscale amenities. All offer two bedrooms and three bathrooms plus a full kitchen, living room and screened-in porch.
The big debate is where to relax first: soak in the master bathroom’s deep jetted bathtub, swing in one of the rocking chairs or the hammock on the private porch, sink into a pillow-top mattress, lounge on the cushy sofa in front of the gas fireplace and/or flat-screen high-definition television, or just stand in the midst of the immaculate coastal décor and gaze out across the private beach at the sparkling harbor.
Whether you stay for one night or a week, it’s easy to ignite romance here. Canoodle with your sweetie, get a couple’s massage, dine in fine style—either by heading into Charleston or by arranging for a personal chef to come into your cottage to cook for you—or dream together about a shared future.
The Cottages on Charleston Harbor are a popular wedding venue, but I think they’d be an even better choice for a honeymoon: Adopting a cottage for the week or weekend would provide a homey threshold to cross into newlywed life.
The Cottages on Charleston Harbor are located minutes from downtown Charleston at the foot of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge on historic Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant. Hide in your private cottage if that’s suits your mood. But you can readily access all that Charleston has to offer. Drive across the bridge if you wish, but it’s even easier to take the water taxi across the harbor. Disembark at the dock of your choice, with options including the South Carolina Aquarium and Market Street. Once in the city, take a guided tour, explore museums, meander through gardens, savor a couples’ massage, shop ‘til you drop, feast on Lowcountry cuisine, or whatever piques your interest.
My newest favorite place, The Cottages on Charleston Harbor are well-suited for any getaway, whether you’re traveling solo or with a lover, family or group of friends. The place feels like a best-kept secret, but it’s one worth shouting.
- Located in Mount Pleasant across the bridge and harbor from Charleston, South Carolina
- Complimentary parking
- Complimentary high-speed WiFi
- Complimentary continental breakfast from 8 to 11 a.m.
- Complimentary refreshments throughout the day
- All 10 cottages are non-smoking
- Each cottage can accommodate up to 6 adults
- 9 harbor-front cottages and 1 cottage on the lagoon
- Washer/dryer in each cottage
- Outdoor swimming pool and whirlpool hot tub
- Clubhouse lounge
- Private beach with Adirondack chairs and tables
- Complimentary use of bicycles
- Walking distance to water taxi dock; $10 for 2 tickets when purchased at The Cottages on Charleston Harbor
- USA Today delivered each morning
- Pillow-top mattresses
- Personal concierge
- Business services and plus access to printer and fax machines
- Additional services can be arranged, including private chef, in-cottage massage treatments, pre-arrival grocery shopping, and Champagne upon arrival
- Golf at Patriot Point Links for $65 per round
- There is 1 pet-friendly cottage. Non-refundable deposit of $50 per day not to exceed $350 per stay. One dog under 50 pounds permitted. Other restrictions apply
- Peak months March-November, 3-night minimum stay on weekends, rates from $499-$799/night; January, February & December are slower months, 2-night minimum stay on weekends, rates from $325-$529/night
- 21 Plus Salute! While the odds of encountering children vary, we saw none on our recent weekday visit. Even if kids are on the property during your stay, there are guaranteed to be zero in your rented cottage unless you bring them along.
The Cottages on Charleston Harbor
16 Patriots Point Road
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
843-849-2451 or 866-901-2688
– Photos courtesy The Cottages on Charleston Harbor
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.