New upscale campground in Savannah, Georgia.
Don’t own a camper or a tent? No problem! CreekFire has cabins, too.
By Hope S. Philbrick
To haul his product samples around, my dad drove a Winnebago for many years. Since his work schedule and our school schedule coincided in a way that allowed it, every summer he’d convert it from a showroom back into a camper and our family would travel around in an RV. My husband’s family also vacationed at campgrounds with their pop-up trailer, although we didn’t know each other back in those days.
For those of us who don’t own an RV, trailer or even a tent, CreekFire Motor Ranch offers lakeside cabins for rent, thus providing the chance to stay at and experience a campground even if you have zero camping experience and no gear.
The cabins are built to resemble trailers and are positioned on the property next to a group of RV campsites, for a genuine look and feel of being part of the whole RV camper experience.
We were traveling with a friend, so three adults lodged in one cabin and it proved to be the perfect solution for the situation—easier, more convenient, and definitely more cost-effective than it would have been to book two hotel rooms in Historic Downtown Savannah.
Our cabin’s front porch opened into a space where we could all stand while removing shoes and coats (we happened to arrive during a downpour). The entry was adjacent to a seating area and overlooked a full kitchen. A bedroom was at the far end of the cabin, past a full bath on one side of the hallway and bunk beds on the other. A double bed was tucked overhead in a loft. This particular cabin had a two-story deck off the rear, though the neighboring cabins didn’t. It can officially sleep eight (two people in the bedroom, loft, and sleeper sofa, plus one in each bunk), but since there’s only one bathroom that number may not work for all groups of travelers.
We thought the cabin was adorable and cozy without feeling crowded. We prepared breakfasts and snacks in the kitchen, though we ventured into Savannah for dinners. If we’d forgotten any essentials like cereal, milk, yogurt, coffee and so on, the gift shop in the club house stocks basics along with regional specialty foods, logo merchandise, and some other items.
For recreation, there’s a huge lawn chess board, an adult pool, hot tub, tennis courts, horseshoe court, croquet court, bocce ball, dart boards, ping pong, and much more. You can rent bicycles, jon boats, kayaks, canoes, and even golf carts. Some recreational equipment including fishing poles, basketball, baseball and bat can be borrowed at no extra charge.
The staff members in the club house are super nice and helpful if you have questions or need anything.
A relaxed sense of community hangs over a campground. Odds are you’ll feel your pace slow yourself relax in a way that doesn’t quite seem to happen in the same way at a hotel. Conversations between neighbors are commonplace, you may find yourself swapping tales of traveling wherever the road has taken you, perhaps roasting s’mores as stars twinkle overhead. So don’t be surprised if after staying at CreekFire Motor Ranch you find yourself kicking tires at an RV dealership. A stay can stoke a dream that, who knows, may one day lead to an actual purchase.
CreekFire Motor Ranch is convenient, comfortable, fairly priced, and will stir up camping memories if you’ve got any—plus plant new ones.
- CreekFire Motor Ranch opened on October 27, 2017
- CreekFire Motor Ranch is located a half-mile west of Exit 94 off I-95, approx. 30 minutes from Historic Downtown Savannah and 45 minutes from Tybee Island
- There’s a 35-acre fishing lake and nature trails on the 105-acre property
- RV sites, tent sites, and rustic lakeview cabins are available to rent
- The park houses a 1962 airstream trailer outfitted as a food truck
- The grounds are surrounded by a security gate; you get a card to swipe upon registration
- Property amenities include adult and kid pools, a hot tub, live musical entertainment, tennis, pickle ball and basketball courts, and much more
- Shuttle service runs daily between Historic Downtown Savannah and CreekFire Motor Ranch with departures at 9 a.m., Noon, 3 p.m., 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. for $5 per person round trip
- Tent site rentals start at $45 per night, RV sites start at $52 per night, and cabins start at $140 per night; base rates are of course subject to change including seasonal increases
- Odds of Encountering Children: Zero in your rented lakeside cabin unless you bring kids along. But in general, odds vary. We saw only two youngsters during our recent stay, both of whom were very quiet as they apparently knew that their chances of catching a fish depended upon it. For the best odds of an adults-oriented experience, stay during the school year.
- 21 Plus Salute! to CreekFire for designating an adults-only swimming pool!
CreekFire Motor Ranch
275 Fort Argyle Rd.
Savannah, GA 31419
@21plusTravel Tip: Read our two-week Georgia itinerary, which includes two nights at CreekFire.
– Photo Credits: top 3 courtesy CreekFire Motor Ranch, remainder © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion. Thanks to CreekFire Motor Ranch for hosting our stay.