Getaways for Grownups is aimed at adults seeking travel options that do not include children or teens. Readers are age 21 and older. They are financially secure and may be single or married, gay or straight, parents or not, English-language readers living anywhere in the world. Most readers have valid passports. Editorial subjects are geared to be timeless more than trendy, international in scope, cover a range of interests, and accompanied by compelling photos. To keep the online magazine fresh, content is published monthly or more often at the editor’s discretion. The magazine is ready to read anytime, anywhere.
The magazine will increase in publication frequency and destinations covered as the audience grows and advertising dollars support the endeavor.
Not all destinations and venues featured are guaranteed vacant of children and teens. We honestly assess their grownup appeal, ability to cater to an adult audience, and the likelihood of encountering youngsters—hedge your bets with our “Odds of Encountering Children” ratings. Destinations that are truly adults-oriented as well as programs, services or venues exclusive to adults will be labeled as having earned our 21 Plus Salute top honors.
We scout the earth for places to go and things to do that are adult oriented. Not kinky. Just grownup.
Adults have diverse interests and reasons for travel so we strive to cover a broad range of interests and travel options.
- Adventure: Active itineraries, adrenaline rushes, once-in-a-lifetime experiences, camera-ready action and thrills
- Culinary: Food and drink, agritourism, cooking schools, farmers markets, local food traditions, food trails, culinary events, “farm to table” initiatives
- Hotels & Resorts: Accommodations, luxuries, upscale extravagances, pampering services, unexpected details, romantic getaways or holidays for couples, packages and seasonal offerings
- Nature: Earth-friendly destinations, options and programs, outdoors, wildlife, camera-ready vistas, trails, eco-travel, natural wonders
- People: Personalities, interesting folks, interviews and profiles
- Sites & Sights: Diversions, activities, museums, attractions, history and historic sites, guided tours, sports, games, culture and customs (old and new), art and music, trends, quirks, unique finds and local treasures
- Spas: Facilities, treatments, products and services, romantic getaways or holidays for couples
- Atlanta Insider’s Guide: We’re headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, and know our home turf best. We share tips about where to Stay In Atlanta, how to have Fun In Atlanta, where to Eat In Atlanta.
Readers begged for more content in some popular themes, and we responded with several ongoing series.
- Eat & Burn: Our Eat & Burn series showcases destinations through their cuisine and inviting ways to burn calories. Indulge with less guilt? Yes, please!
- Go Green: Our Go Green series showcases destinations working to protect the environment.
- Mixed Case: Our Mixed Case series serves up an eclectic mix of recent ‘adult beverage’ discoveries by the dozen. Whether you’re perusing a bar menu while traveling or stirring up a cocktail at home, let our guide lead to new taste destinations.
- Quick Stop: Make the most of a brief visit of less than 24 hours. If your road trip from Point A to Point B passes through the featured destination, heed our advice to make the most of an overnight layover.
We delve into some key adults-oriented travel options, activities and interests, including:
- Breweries, Wineries & Distilleries: Producers, facility tours, tastings
- Cycling: Recommended routes and rental vendors, what to expect, photo ops, sights and sounds
- Festivals: Celebrations, community traditions, special events
- Hikes: Recommended routes, what to expect, photo ops, orienteering, geocaching, sights and sounds
- Libations: Beer, wines, cocktails and spirits
- National & State Parks: Attractions, trails, guides, accommodations, what to expect
- Recipes: Recreate a destination’s flavor at home
- Restaurants: Where to eat, from casual to fine dining, romantic getaways
- Road-Tested Gear: Proven products
- Road Trips: Historic roadways, scenic byways, off-the-beaten-path routes, themed drives, roadside finds, holidays for couples, scenic vistas
- Shopping: Local treasures, where to go, what to look for, expert advice
For every destination, venue and option we showcase, our aim is to appeal to adults’ diverse interests and reasons for travel. We don’t forget business travelers—though we aim to inspire even the hardest workers to grab some me-time on any trip. As we see it, adult vacations can be romantic getaways or solo escapes, shared among friends or group tours, planned or spontaneous, honeymoons or holidays for couples, pure fun or educational, whatever. We aim to help you put those precious employer-paid vacation days to good use! Even if you’re a parent with only two weeks of paid time off, we think you deserve a day or two among adults to refuel.
Planned Future Expansions
We have big dreams for our online magazine.
- Calendar: Once we have support staff who can keep it up to date, we’ll add a calendar of some of the best adult-oriented events around the world.
- Map: We’d like to add an interactive world map linking from destinations to our coverage. But you can already click on geographic tags or search by city, state or nation.
Subject To Change