Downtown Lewisburg, West Virginia
By Hope S. Philbrick
The General Lewis Inn is a short walk up the hill from and on the edge of historic downtown Lewisburg, West Virginia.
This means you could drive into town and then avoid your car for the remainder of your visit. Park near the Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) office, pop in for maps and information, then stroll up and down Washington Street stepping into whatever boutique shops pique your interest. Enjoy lunch, dinner and/or cocktails at one of the dining options. Shop some more—don’t miss venues on Livesay and Jefferson streets. Then check into the General Lewis Inn to rest up for another day of exploration.
The General Lewis Inn occupies two historic buildings, one built in 1834 and the other in 1928. There’s no elevator—so if you can’t climb stairs reserve a room on the first level—but other than that it’s been updated to suit contemporary needs and expectations offering conveniences from high-speed WiFi to steam showers.
From personalized service to actual room keys (not electronic cards), it’s clear this is someplace different and special.
Mattresses are cozy and dressed in soft linens. The bathrooms are thoroughly modern yet their clean lines and simplicity complement rather than contrast with the antiques in the rest of the individually appointed guestroom.
It’s no easy trick to blend the past and present, but they mingle comfortably at General Lewis Inn. As a guest, you will, too.
- Located within walking distance of historic downtown Lewisburg
- 25 rooms and suites
- All guestrooms furnished with antiques
- Free high speed Wi-Fi
- Free parking
- Free WV spring water
- Front desk is staffed 24/7
- Daily complimentary Counter Culture coffee service
- On-site Jefferson Dining Room serves breakfast and dinner
- On-site Thistle Lounge serves adult beverages 5-11 p.m. daily
- Steam showers
- Non-smoking property
- Quiet requested after 11:30 p.m.
- Note that the inn doesn’t have an elevator. All room numbers in the 100s are on the main level. The 200s rooms are upstairs; a staffer will help carry luggage if you request assistance, but if you yourself can’t make it up stairs then ask for a first-floor room when booking a reservation.
- Rates from $110/night
- Odds of Encountering Children: Generally low. For the best odds stay when school is in session.
What To Do In Lewisburg
Downtown Lewisburg is historic and picturesque, and it’s also a vibrant shopping hub compact enough to easily walk from one shop to another. Boutiques stock a range of unique items including arts and crafts, clothing and accessories, healthy and beauty. Don’t miss The Front Porch for home accessories and décor items, Bella The Corner Gourmet for kitchen and cooking gear, the Country Road Yarn House for all your crochet and knitting essentials, and Serenity Now Outfitters for outdoor equipment including clothing. There’s also an Antique Trail of 11 antique shops along Route 219 and Route 60.
There are also multiple theaters—including Carnegie Hall, The Lewis Theatre and Greenbrier Valley Theatre—bars and pubs, and seasonal festivals. Contact the Greenbrier Valley WV CVB for details and recommendations.
General Lewis Inn
1236 East Washington St.
– Photos © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.