Beachside bliss at the Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes.
By Hope S. Philbrick
What’s the best thing that can happen to you at the end of a wonderful, relaxing full-body massage? You can find out that you’re also scheduled for a facial.
I’d scheduled both treatments, but totally forgot about the second one. Thankfully, the staff at Hibiscus Spa in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, found me in the shower and reminded me of the wonderful news that I was set for even more pampering!
I toweled off, pulled my robe back on, rushed out and slipped between silky sheets in a second treatment room on an even more comfortable table—the facial tables have built-in arm rests and ergonomically cradle you in a perfect position that’s relaxing for you and accessible for the esthetician.
The Hibiscus facial can be tailored to suit specific needs, such as sensitive skin. While you recline with your eyes closed, your face is massaged, cleaned, toned, exfoliated, masque-ed, creamed and moisturized by a professional to alleviate signs of aging, sun damage and general ‘wear and tear.’ The experience is gentle, refreshing, uplifting. You will leave looking and feeling cleaner and fresher than when you arrived—even if you literally just showered beforehand.
In my case, the facial built upon the previously established bliss of the hot stone massage.
Heated smooth stones are incorporated into a traditional massage, helping loosen muscles and push relaxation deeper than hands alone. The pressure is just-right, since you let your therapist know what you need (Relaxation? Stress relief? Aches erased?). Essential oils scent the air to encourage relaxation, along with soft music, a heated cushioned table and fuzzy blankets used to cover parts of you not currently being massaged.
Before, between or after treatments, as a spa guest you can linger in the relaxation lounge, or use the sauna, steam room, whirlpool, indoor pool and/or fitness center. This is an upscale spa with full amenities.
Staff members from the reception area to the treatment rooms are friendly, knowledgeable and eager to please. Therapists offer recommendations to extend the value of the treatments at home, and the on-site gift shop makes it easy to stock up on any needed supplies.
Hibiscus Spa offers blissful tranquility.
- The treatment menu offers more than 24 options including facials, waxing, manicures, pedicures, massages, scrubs, wraps, Reiki, and more plus seven packages
- Lunch or a light snack can be added to any treatment
- Arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment
- Facials are scheduled for 50 or 80 minutes; massages are scheduled for 25, 50 or 80 minutes
- Spa guests are provided with a locker, robe and slippers
- Spa guests have access to sauna, steam room, whirlpool, indoor pool and fitness center
- Complimentary water and tea are available for spa guests
- Complimentary grooming products are available for spa guests
- Natural products are used for facials
- 20 percent gratuity automatically included for services
- Odds of Encountering Children: Varies, but possible. The spa menu includes treatments for teens age 16 and younger; 12 and younger must be accompanied by a parent. You’ll see zero youngsters in your private treatment room.
Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
8400 Costa Verde Drive
Myrtle Beach SC 29572
– Photos courtesy Hibiscus Spa at the Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.