Experience the state’s “Prettiest Small Town.”
May through October is high season in Blowing Rock, North Carolina, a time that sees the three seasons of late spring, summer and early fall arrive in a slow wave of moderate temperature fluctuations and gradual changes in natural beauty. North Carolina’s “Prettiest Small Town” is in the heart of High Country, and activities and events just add to the appeal of the place.
Blowing Rock’s calendar is filled with events and activities that lure overnight visitors and day-trippers alike. Blowing Rock is located less than two hours from Charlotte and Greensboro, three hours from Knoxville and Raleigh and five hours from Atlanta and Charleston. A range of accommodations is available.
Highlights to experience this time of year include:
• Art in the Park: Now in its 53d year, this monthly Saturday event (May through October), showcases crafters and artisans from all over the Southeast. This year the shows will feature artists from North Carolina specializing in glass, clay, jewelry, wood, fiber and painting.
• BRAHM/Art & Antique Show: At the new BRAHM on Main Street, this summer’s featured exhibit is Millhands/Handmade, which examines the South’s long textile history, from the growth of industrial mills to today’s regional textile artists working to keep handmade techniques alive. BRAHM’s annual Art & Antiques show, featuring porcelain, fine and folk art, antique furniture, jewelry, silver and more, is July 31 to August 2.
• High Gravity Adventures: Open since April next to Tweetsie Railroad, High Gravity Adventures is an aerial adventure park specializing in unique and active outdoor recreation activities for ages 5 and up. It features 75 different aerial elements requiring various levels of physical and mental stamina at heights between 15 and 50 feet.
• Movies and Concerts in the Park: The movie series will feature outdoor, family-friendly films that start at dusk on June 25, July 9, July 23 and August 6. All movies are on Thursday evenings, rated G or PG, and all are free. For more information, visit blowingrock.com/moviesinthepark. Concerts in the Park will feature artists to suit just about everyone’s musical tastes, and will take place on Sundays: June 14, July 19, August 16 and September 13.
Blowing Rock Visitor Center, 877.750.4636
– Text & images courtesy Blowing Rock Visitor Center