Go Green and enjoy guilt-free luxury in Western North Carolina.
By Hope S. Philbrick
Some hotels simply make you say ahhh while striding into the lobby. This one impresses with its vibrant energy, modern amenities, spacious design and friendly staffers, all while wrapping you in the comforting arms of Mother Nature.
Here luxury is served without a side order of guilt. The Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park is a AAA Four Diamond hotel that has also earned LEED Silver certification. LEED is the nation’s preeminent program for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
Awarded by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and verified by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI), the LEED certification process measures building sustainability in five key areas of human and environmental health: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality.
The hotel is one of the first in the nation to utilize a large-scale solar water heating system. It is the largest system installed in Western North Carolina to date. Water throughout the hotel, including the pool, is heated using solar power, eliminating 25 tons of carbon dioxide per year, which is the equivalent of planting 7,000 trees. The hotel’s design also incorporates the latest water conservation methods, so it uses 30 percent less water and 25 percent less energy than comparable hotels of its size.
Other green features, include:
- Low volatile organic compounds used as building materials
- CFL lighting
- Saline pool
- Full scale recycling program, including cooking oils which are used to make bio fuel
- Sustainable menu items, sourced locally whenever possible
- Donation of food waste for composting
- Shuttle service provided in an alternative fuel vehicle
- Special parking for all hybrid vehicles
- Bicycle access and racks for alternative transportation
- Use of environmentally-friendly cleaning agents
While these efforts all save energy, none of them detracts from the comfort of the hotel’s 165 guest accommodations. Each clean, spacious guest room boasts the comforts and amenities discerning travelers require.
The hotel opened in 2010 in the Biltmore Park Town Square “Urban Village.” Multiple dining, shopping and entertainment options are within steps of the hotel.
- Complimentary Internet access throughout the hotel.
- Complimentary shuttle service is offered to and from Asheville Regional Airport, located three miles away.
- Valet parking is $8/day. There is no charge for self-parking.
- Accessible rooms are available.
- There’s a fitness center and a spa on site.
- Each room is supplied with a coffee maker and Lavazza coffee.
- The on-site restaurant Roux serves Southern cuisine with modern sophistication. The menu features local farmers, foods and purveyors as well as several local brews.
- The executive suites boast luxurious infinity edge whirlpool bathtubs where you can relax with the illusion of flowing into the French Broad River.
- There’s an indoor pool and whirlpool.
- All guest rooms offers a 37-inch TV, clock radio with MP3 connection, chair and ottoman, work desk, two-line phones with voice mail, in-room safe, refrigerator, ironing board and iron, blow dryer and an in-room coffee maker.
- Each bed is dressed with a down-filled comforters, fluffy pillows, 250-thread count sheets and duvet cover, along with custom decorative throws and pillows.
- The hotel offers convenient access to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Downtown Asheville and Biltmore Estate.
- Odds of Encountering Children: High. But during the week, the odds of encountering business travelers may be higher.
Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park
43 Town Square Blvd.
Asheville, NC 28803
-Photos courtesy Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park.
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.