Luxury accommodations in Madison, Wisconsin.
By Hope S. Philbrick
Maybe you can time travel. When at Mansion Hill Inn in Madison, Wisconsin, it can sure feel like you’ve tricked the laws of time and space.
Lounge in bed, glance around the room and there’s compelling evidence that you’re in any time period from the Victorian era to now and in any European country or American state.
That’s quite an amazing trick, and the Inn pulls off with stylish aplomb.
Mansion Hill Inn straddles multiple realities: It is thoroughly modern yet dates back to 1857, it is American-crafted yet has an Old World vibe, it boasts ten private guestrooms yet sets a lovely stage for socializing, it’s swanky yet relaxed, it’s a stone’s throw from the steps of the state capital yet nestled in a quiet neighborhood, and it’s upscale yet welcoming.
Recent renovations by skilled craftsmen have updated the ten guest rooms, lobby bar and parlor while maintaining the Mansion’s historic charms.
The staff is small—the same girl who parks your car may lug your suitcase upstairs—but attentive and ready to help ensure your stay exceeds expectations.
Each guestroom has an individual layout and is uniquely decorated, though all boast the same vibe and amenities. No detail is overlooked: As one example, the tile floors in the bathrooms are heated.
Whatever fantasy you create about where and when you are while lounging in bed, if you’re not comfortable here, there is something seriously wrong with you.
Stay once, and you’ll dream of returning.
- Free wi-fi.
- Guestrooms have iPod docking stations and high-definition flat-screen TVs.
- Free breakfast is available 7-11 a.m. daily; help yourself to an assortment of fresh fruit, bagels, pastries, coffee, juice and more.
- Free soda and bottled water is available in the bar to all guests; there’s also a free large bottle of water in each guestroom.
- While there’s no on-site restaurant, gourmet cheese plates plus wine and beer are available, which can be a satisfyingly grownup way to savor Wisconsin flavors within the comforts of a private guestroom.
- The temperature in each guestroom is controlled by its guest(s).
- Aveda products are provided in guest bathrooms.
- Bathrooms feature showers with rainwater showerheads.
- Check-in at 4 p.m.; check-out by Noon.
- A gratuity of $3 per person is added to final invoices; additional tips are generous but not necessary. Nice!
- Smoking is prohibited inside the Inn.
- Complimentary bicycles are provided by Madison B-cycle
- Odds of Encountering Children: Based on the upscale swankiness, vibe and college-town location, slim. But odds of encountering squealing bridesmaids are extremely high.
@21plusTravel Tip: Climb the Mansion’s five-story mahogany staircase for a panoramic view of Madison.
Mansion Hill Inn
424 N. Pinckney St.
Madison WI 53703
– Photos © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.