Retreat to Chickamauga, Georgia
By Hope S. Philbrick
The night skies are dark and silent in Walker County, Georgia. It can be a shock if your eyes are accustomed to city lights and ears used to the constant hum of traffic.
This is a peace you can get used to, however unfamiliar.
Mountain Cove Farms is nestled at the base of Crockford-Pigeon and Lookout Mountains and it offers a chance to truly get away from it all—whatever stresses you’ve left behind along with all the ambient annoyances that you don’t even notice until they’re gone.
Check into one of the seven cottages, originally built in the mid-1940s. Each has been remodeled with modern kitchens, new bathrooms, fireplaces, laundry facilities, flat-screen TVs, and furnishings to comfortably accommodate up to eight guests. (Other overnight accommodation options include the Cove House, which can accommodate up to 16 people, plus 29 RV camping sites and ten new primitive tent camping sites that will be available soon.)
Cook using the stainless steel appliances, or head to The Manor House Restaurant for home-style cooking in a casual environment.
Then retreat to your private space and slip into deep sleep surrounded by a natural quiet that really rests your mind.
Daylight will reveal wide open skies, rolling hills, tree-covered mountainsides, flat farmland, big graceful trees, chirping birds, and air so fresh your lungs swell with joy.
The 350-acre property boasts a show barn (a popular wedding venue), manor house (a flexible space used for conferences, events and more), a country store (to stock up on basic supplies you might have forgotten), plus a variety of recreational activities including hiking, biking, horseback riding and hunting.
Or just sit sipping coffee and enjoying the country views until it’s time to leave—most likely, as you pull away, you’ll make a vow to return.
- Mountain Cove Farms is located approximately two hours north of Atlanta, Ga., 40 minutes south of Chattanooga, Tenn., and seven miles from the Alabama border. It’s near LaFayette, Ga.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Coffee makers available, but bring your own supplies
- Horse stables available (BYO horse; no rentals available)
- Planning is underway to add a professional disc golf course
- Planning is underway to add archery and a gun range
- Guided deer hunts available ($500 per person per day)
- Guided quail hunts available ($500 for two hunters and 50 birds per half day)
- Hunting requires a valid license; Crockford-Pigeon Mountain allows hunting on select dates for deer, bear, turkey, small game and dove. Visit gohuntgeorgia.com for more details.
- A new management company began October 1, 2014
- Rates for small cabins with one bathroom start at $150/night (save $25 on weeknights)
- Rates for large cabins with two bathrooms start at $200/night (save $25 on weeknights)
- Odds of Encountering Children: Zero in your own private cottage unless you bring some along—21 Plus Salute! Elsewhere on the property, odds vary. We saw no children during our recent Friday night stay.
Mountain Cove Farms
994 Doughtery Gap Rd.
Chickamauga GA 30707
– Photos © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.