By Hope S. Philbrick
“The bar is always open,” said Barbara Rupert of Pleasant Lane Acres B&B, co-owner and co-innkeeper with her husband Don.
Good news, since my husband and I would hate to miss cocktail hour. We planned to grab dinner along the way, but didn’t want to miss out on what Barbara had referred to as “Don’s Famous Margaritas.”
Served in thick, festive glasses that rival cereal bowls in size, the margaritas were a tasty treat after a long day of driving around visiting several different South Carolina farms.
After writing about the adults-oriented bed and breakfast accommodations in South Carolina’s Old 96 District, we were eager to stay at one while passing through the area.
Pleasant Lane Acres Bed & Breakfast is, as promised, off the beaten path—and thus perfect for a true getaway. The hosts are so friendly and accommodating that, even if you’re meeting for the first time, it feels like you’re visiting long-time friends.
Peruse the guest book and you’ll read comments like “as good as it gets,” “a little piece of heaven,” “so peaceful, so relaxing, so delicious,” and “a great country getaway to pamper the stress right out of you” with “true Southern hospitality.” All true.
Guestrooms are decorated with family heirlooms and antiques. Plus, Barbara collects pigs and plaques with clever sayings hang around the house, so there’s a lot to look at. Barbara and Don spent ten years updating the home and you can feel the love they poured into the place. As a guest you can relax in your guestroom, in the sitting room or dining room, on a porch, or—what for us felt like the obvious best choice—at the bar overlooking the kitchen.
Sleep easy and wake up to a delicious breakfast, included with your stay. If you happen to love Eggs Benedict you’re in for a special treat since Barbara says it’s what she often serves most first-time visitors. Since it’s our favorite breakfast, we were thrilled to devour the specialty of the house. Barbara is a great cook and offers six-course dinners, which after tasting breakfast I can say is a treat well worth adding onto your stay.
Pleasant Lane Acres B&B is a welcoming, cozy place to stay. While in Edgewood, take the opportunity to drive about a half-hour to Titan Farms and stock up on peaches (in season).
21 Point Inspection
1. Adults Only/Odds of Encountering Children—Zero in the main house, which is reserved for adults only. 21 Plus Salute!
3. Clean—Clean, non-smoking property.
4. Space—Rooms offer sufficient space for personal belongings.
5. Kitchen(ette)—Complimentary beverages. Microwave available.
6. Coffee/Tea—Complimentary Keurig coffee bar located on the upper level.
7. Glassware/Ice—Available at the bar.
8. Tub/Shower—Main level guestroom offers a spacious walk-in shower; upstairs guestrooms offer a clawfoot tub and separate shower.
9. Temperature—The home has central heat and air, kept at a comfortable temperature. Guestrooms have fireplaces.
10. Linens/Mattress—Linens were in excellent condition and the bed was very comfortable. All guestrooms offer Queen beds and private bathrooms. Guest robes and slippers available.
11. Hooks—Bathrooms offer sufficient options for hanging towels. A bedroom closet is available.
12. Hair Dryer—A blow dryer is available.
13. Window Treatments—Draperies help darken the room and offer privacy.
14. Seating—Guestrooms offer seating beyond the bed, plus guests are welcome to enjoy other rooms of the home as well as the hammock, swings and rockers on the porches.
15. Work-Friendly—Free high-speed wireless Internet.
16. Outlets—Vacant plugs available to recharge electronics.
17. Pet-Friendly—The carriage house is pet-friendly (kid-friendly, too, but carriage house guests are served breakfast in that house to ensure the main house remains adults-oriented). Outdoor kennels are available if you’re traveling with a dog and want to stay in the main house.
18. Service—Barbara and Don are super friendly and helpful.
19. Outdoors—The 50-acre property offers walking trails and a fishing pond.
20. On-Site Amenities—Complimentary Keurig coffee bar. Complimentary adult beverages served at a bar that overlooks the kitchen with fireplace, TV, and spacious window for birdwatching. Breakfast is included with your stay. A six-course dinner with wine pairings is available with advance reservation at an additional fee.
21. Accessibility—The main house offers two guestrooms on the upper level and one on the main level; you’ll need to climb a few stairs into the house. A carriage house is also available.
Rates from $ 135.00 single and $175 double. Call for rates during Masters Golf Week.
Pleasant Lane Acres Bed & Breakfast
318 Pleasant Lane Road
Edgefield, SC 29824
– Photos © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion. Thanks to Barbara and Don for hosting our overnight stay.