Perfect accommodations in Asheville, North Carolina
By Hope S. Philbrick
There are times in a frequent traveler’s life—and they are rarer than you might think—when a hotel turns out to be perfect. Because booking a hotel room is like throwing a dart at a target. You aim for what you want but never really know what you’re going to get until you arrive.
When I reached the historic Princess Anne Hotel, I was exhausted, having spent the previous week juggling deadlines, travel and family drama. As soon as I stepped into the lobby, my mood was transformed by the sun pouring into the elegant space and the friendly staffers’ prompt service. Once I stepped into my four-room premier guest suite—a sitting room, kitchenette, bedroom and bathroom!—one thing was certain: I’d arrived in the ideal place to relax and renew.
The hotel room was so clean, comfortable and luxurious, so suited to my immediate needs, that it became more than a place to sleep. On a whim I decided to forgo the planned evening itinerary and simply just kick-back, rest and enjoy. The verdict: Nothing erases stress quite like soaking in a deep tub while sipping wine and enjoying choice entertainment streaming onto your device without interruption.
That luxurious evening proved that the Princess Anne Hotel is a destination, reason alone to visit Asheville. Weeks later, with sufficient time to reflect on the place, I believe that most grownups would adore the hotel for most situations. It’s a haven that can also serve as a convenient hub from which to explore Asheville and the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains. Best of all: It caters to adults (only guests age 12 and older are welcome). Visit alone for an escape, with a loved one for a romantic retreat, or with friends for a getaway.
Described as “a hybrid bed and breakfast and hotel” by hotel manager John Patson, the Princess Anne Hotel is tucked into the Chestnut Hill National Historic District of Asheville so it has a residential vibe. The historic building (circa 1924) was originally built as a hotel so no retrofitting was necessary as it was lovingly restored to blend modern conveniences with its original charms. Each of the 16 guestrooms has a unique floor plan and is individually decorated.
“There’s nothing comparable to the Princess Anne Hotel in Asheville,” says Patson. We here at Getaways for Grownups can think of few places to equal it in the world.
While I first climbed up the curved staircase to my guestroom, a lady a few steps ahead of me turned to ask, “Is this your first time staying at The Princess Anne?” Yes, I replied. “You’ll love it! We come several times a year.” You’ll want to do the same.
- Free wireless Internet access is available throughout the hotel.
- An elevator is available to reach the second and third floors.
- The two premier suites have clawfoot bathtubs; other rooms have tile showers. There is no pool on the property.
- Coffee makers are available in each guestroom, along with complimentary organic coffees and teas. Complimentary hot beverages are also served in the Breakfast Room each morning.
- A buffet of hot and cold appetizers and assorted wine varietals is served each evening from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Breakfast is served every morning from 8:30 to 10 a.m.; a menu offers several options such as crepes, egg soufflé, frittata, French toast, waffles, house-made granola or more.
- Free parking is available behind the hotel. If you have lots of luggage, plan to first pull into the driveway to check-in and unload, then move your car.
- The hotel is about a 15-minute drive from the airport. Cab fare is approximately $40.
- The hotel is within walking distance of downtown Asheville and a short drive from Biltmore Estate, the Blue Ridge Parkway and Pisgah National Forest.
- Local calls are free. Long distance calls require a calling card—if you need one, the hotel has some for sale.
- The hotel is 100% smoke-free and pet-free.
- Children age 12 and older are permitted but infrequent guests at this historic hotel.
- Rates from $109 to $329 per night.
Princess Anne Hotel
301 E. Chestnut St.
Asheville NC 28801
828.258.0986 or toll-free 866.552.0986
-Photo Courtesy Princess Anne Hotel
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.