By Hope S. Philbrick
If your destination is Mall of America (MOA), Radisson Blu Mall of America is a super convenient option for overnight accommodations.
Even if you have no intention of stepping inside MOA—the largest indoor entertainment and shopping mall in the United States—Radisson Blu Mall of America is a comfortably chic contemporary hotel with grownup appeal.
Once you enter the hotel’s front door you may feel like you passed through some magic vortex that shot you straight from Bloomington, Minnesota to Oslo, Norway. The décor in the uber-sleek lobby screams modern-day Scandinavia, starting with the funky woven chairs that hang from the ceiling to the sculptured walls that so strongly suggest an iceberg that you might shiver upon seeing them, even in summer when the lobby fireplace flickers for ambiance not actual needed warmth.
Ride an escalator adjacent to that acrylic iceberg up to reach the second floor elevators that whisk you up to whichever one of the 500 guestrooms was reserved for you. Each room is dressed up in one of three fashion-inspired motifs: Urban, Naturally Cool or Mansion House. Whatever color scheme you get, expect to enjoy thoughtful furnishings, a tile shower and rest easy between crisp sheets. Artwork conveys a Twin Cities sense of place.
The hotel’s 24-hour room service comes in handy, whether you’re exhausted by work or travel, or just crave a private snack. Relax in a robe, nibble on fruit and cheese, sip some wine, and peruse the current Mall visitors’ guide and coupon book to strategically plan a shopping spree. Or click on the flat-screen TV and zone out. Or log onto the complimentary high-speed wireless Internet and answer emails.
If you’re hungry and in the mood to mingle among society, the menu at FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar offers an eclectic mix of American favorites with some local favorites like wild rice soup and walleye cakes. A new rooftop honeybee program provides honey for some food menu items and cocktails—if you’re the sort of person who loves to stick to a theme, steer towards the bright purplish-blue (make that blu) cocktail. For breakfast, lunch and dinner, there’s something to please every palate. Servers are attentive without crossing the line into annoying and offer food and beverage recommendations you can trust. FireLake serves upscale fare that appeals to grownup tastes and is among the best dining options in Bloomington. The restaurant offers seating at the bar, communal tables and private tables of various size, so you can mingle with fellow travelers, meet friends, share a table with travel companions, or dine alone as suits your mood.
All the wonder that is Mall of America is a short stroll down the hallway from the restaurant past the guestroom elevators.
If you choose to shop, there’s no need to lug heavy bags through Mall of America: Call the hotel’s shopping concierge service and a hotel staffer will meet you wherever you are in the Mall then deliver your bags to your guestroom so you can continue to explore unburdened by packages. Shop, dine, ride the water flume, see a show, play mini-golf…options abound!
Radisson Blu is an entrance to and an escape from Mall of America, both a retreat and a gateway. It’s an oasis to drop after you shop, a place to regenerate and play.
In June 2015, Radisson Blu Mall of America began a partnership with the University of Minnesota Bee Squad, an organization devoted to helping the community foster healthy bee populations, to install two Honey Bee colonies (each with about 10,000 honeybees) on the hotel’s roof.
Radisson Blu Mall of America is the first hotel in the Twin Cities to officially house honey bee colonies from the University of Minnesota Bee Squad.
Radisson Blu Mall of America is an ideal home for the honey bee colonies since it’s located near highways, next to the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, and is within very close proximity to Long Meadow Lake and the Minnesota River—all areas with a reduced use of pesticides.
Throughout the year, honey from the rooftop bee colonies is used in dishes and cocktails at FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar, the farm-to-table restaurant located inside the hotel—with delicious results!
- Free high-speed wireless Internet
- Free parking is available at the MOA East and West lots, though you can also park in the South garage under the hotel ($16/day with in & out privileges) or use valet ($25/night or $10 for event parking)
- 500 rooms and suites; 181 kings, 290 double queens and 29 suites
- On-site dining at FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar
- 24-hour room service
- Fitness center
- Indoor pool
- Concierge desk
- Robes available in each guestroom (bring your own slippers)
- Coffee maker with basic supplies
- Mini refrigerator
- iHome 4 clock radio with iPod/MP3 connection
- in-room laptop safe
- Rates from $169/night
- Upgrade to Business Class for exclusive access to the hospitality lounge, which features complimentary breakfast and evening cocktails with appetizers—with a great view of the MSP airport
- The shopping concierge service means you can shop the mall without becoming unburdened by packages; one call and a staffer will meet you to collect your bags and deliver them to your guestroom
- Solimar Spa is on-site; it opened the summer 2015
- The Blu Insider newsletter alerts you to entertainment options available at MOA and in the Twin Cities during your stay; you’ll even get a copy prior to arrival to help you plan ahead if you’re the organized type and can take advantage of that thoughtfulness
- The Radisson Blu One Touch mobile app is available for reservations and check-in, to explore property features, driving information, to access special offers and more
- Odds of Encountering Children: Relatively low. During the week, business travelers average 80 percent of total guests at this swanky, upscale hotel. On Fridays and Saturdays the majority of guests are leisure travelers.
Radisson Blu Mall of America
2100 Killebrew Dr.
Bloomington MN 55425
- JW Marriott Minneapolis Mall of America, the second 5-star hotel in the Twin Cities metro area, is also attached to Mall of America.
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Bloomington at Mall of America is located just across the street from Mall of America; there’s a walkway between the hotel to the Mall, plus complimentary shuttle service to and from the Mall at the top of the hour every two hours from 10 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Note, however, that the Odds of Encountering Children are notably higher at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson than at Radisson Blu Mall of America or JW Marriott.
– Photo Credits: Top image, bees, ribs courtesy Radisson Blu Mall of America; remainder © HSP Media LLC
A version of this article was first published June 23, 2014.
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.