Taste the Suite Life North of I-285
By Hope S. Philbrick
At least once a week, my husband and I venture up I-85 from Atlanta to the Gwinnett Place Mall area just a few miles north of our home to run errands. I’ve made the trip as a driver and as a passenger more times than I can count. But I never noticed the Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta hotel because I am always looking towards my destination, which is left and not right. Had I simply turned my head, I would have seen the largest hotel in Gwinnett County, which stands 17 stories tall and is hard to miss, especially when lit up against the night sky. But it took an invitation from a PR friend for me to find the place.
Now that I’ve slept and dined at the hotel, I’ll always look in its direction with a fond ‘hello.’
We were booked into a junior suite, which was located at the end of a long hallway (so no elevator noise to wake us). This particular suite was an oversized room (rather than a collection of little nooks and crannies) with multiple seating areas so we could really spread out.
The bed and bathroom were cozy and stocked with upscale amenities. I especially appreciated the robes, mini refrigerator, and quality blow dryer that was easily accessible (not shoved into a bag: Travel as much as I do and these sorts of little things become important).
The hotel was clean, sported contemporary décor, and had a more upscale vibe than I’d anticipated. The folks at the reception desk made check-in a breeze. A business center in the large lobby facilitated even faster email access than my smartphone.
After dinner at the on-site restaurant followed by a peaceful night’s sleep, we awoke, sipped coffee and then headed out to run our typical Saturday errands, minus the commute.
And, I’d argue, that’s quite romantic.
- Free wireless internet access
- Complimentary local shuttle service
- Coffee maker with basic supplies
- Clock radio with iPod docking station
- Most rooms include bath tubs
- LCD television with in-room movie service and video games
- ADA compliant rooms available
- Dining available on site
- Fitness center equipped with cardio machines and free weights
- Heated indoor/outdoor pool and whirlpool
- Check-in at 4 p.m.; check-out by Noon
- 426 guest rooms including 15 suites and 3 concierge floors
- Rates for a Junior Suite start at $169; standard room rates from $119 (weekday) and $99 (weekend)
- Odds of Encountering Children: Varies by time of year visited. During our stay on a Friday night in January, we saw none.
Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta
1775 Pleasant Hill Road
Duluth, GA 30096
— Photo © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.