“Locally inspired” recent remodel completed by Atlanta-based Sims Patrick Studio.
By Hope S. Philbrick
Shortly after staying at Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta for the first time, and being wowed, a press release announcing its remodel arrived in my inbox.
Color me surprised.
I couldn’t imagine what needed updating—and trust me, I could easily list several hotels that could use a good scrubbing and renovation, but this one would not have been on it. So I contacted the PR rep who explained that the renovation, which was completed on September 18, 2014, reflects the brand’s commitment to delivering a collection of diverse, distinctive properties that offer a sense of place not just a place to stay. This location’s design was themed “Southern charm meets modernism.” She invited me to check it out.
The new color scheme is more subdued with gray freshened by pops of yellow and red. Carpet patterns are bold, but without dizzying effects. The lobby features eclectic furniture with sleek lines and elegant fabrics.
There’s new carpet in every guestroom and suite as well as public areas (including function rooms), plus new beds, fresh all-white bedding, and new lighting. There are also new HD 40-inch TVs.
While one of the hotel’s three restaurants (Kaets) closed to make way for additional event space, both Button’s and Grapevine remain open. Room service is also available. Button’s has a relaxed upscale sports-bar vibe—and while I walked around snapping pictures of the space the manager informed me that it would soon be getting remodeled as well as an updated menu. [Update: After changes it reopened with a new name: ArtBar.] Grapevine restaurant is a casually elegant space open for breakfast and lunch, serving American cuisine a la carte as well as buffet.
Sonesta Gwinnett Place has a refreshing new look, but it remains a comfortable, convenient place to stay north of I-285 in Georgia’s Atlanta area.
- Free wireless internet access
- Complimentary local shuttle service
- 17-story hotel is the largest in Gwinnett County
- 426 guest rooms including 15 suites and 3 concierge floors
- Coffee maker with basic supplies
- Clock radio with iPod docking station
- Most rooms include bath tubs
- LCD television with in-room movie service and video games
- ADA compliant rooms available
- Multiple dining venues available on site
- Fitness center equipped with cardio machines and free weights
- Heated indoor/outdoor pool and whirlpool
- Check-in at 4 p.m.; check-out by Noon
- Rates for a Junior Suite start at $169; standard room rates from $119 (weekday) and $99 (weekend)
- Located near the Gwinnett Arena, the Performing Arts Centre and the AAA Gwinnett Braves Coolray Field. Local shopping options include Gwinnett Place Mall, Sugarloaf Mills Mall and the Mall of Georgia.
- Odds of Encountering Children: Varies. During our Saturday night stay in November, we saw none.
Sonesta Gwinnett Place
1775 Pleasant Hill Road
Duluth, GA 30096
– Top two images courtesy the Brandon Agency; remainder © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.