By Hope S. Philbrick
Parking lots rarely impress me, but I was gobsmacked by the deck at the new AC Hotel Atlanta Midtown: It’s arguably Atlanta, Georgia’s best-lit, most spacious, easiest-to-navigate parking option. No need for a valet, just park your own car: Pull into the garage, grab a ticket at the meter, find a spot near the elevator, and roll your suitcase on inside.
Present your parking ticket to the smiling face at the check-in desk and it’s swapped for a pass that gives you in/out privileges during your stay. Voila!
But you can leave your car parked during your stay: AC Hotel Atlanta Midtown is located in the heart of Atlanta’s art scene, within walking distance of Piedmont Park and the Atlanta Botanical Garden, plus you can hop on MARTA to reach even more Atlanta attractions without a car.
The hotel—which is half of the new (circa 2018) AC/Moxy by Marriott—has a sleek design with a color palette emphasizing brown, gold, and cream. What press materials describe as the “curated selection of exclusive, local artwork” adds color and texture. One eye-popping installation suspends a collection of white doll-sized human figures from the ceiling over a lounge area in the lobby.
The lobby has several different seating areas plus fireplaces and art that invite lingering.
Guestrooms are spacious with plenty of room for your personal belongings—and still enough room to move around. Thoughtful touches like chilled glasses add elegance to the overall feeling of the place. A combination water/ice machine near the elevator on guestroom floors is especially convenient.
This hotel is easy to settle into, whether you’re staying overnight or longer, traveling for business or leisure.
Expect a good night of sleep in a comfortable bed, clean shower, and convenient access to whatever brought you to Midtown Atlanta.
21 Point Inspection
1. Adults Only/Odds of Encountering Children—Families are welcome but this hotel has a corporate vibe. For the best odds of an adult experience stay during the workweek when school is in session.
2. Parking—Convenient self-parking with in/out privileges ($25 daily rate applies).
3. Clean—New (circa 2018), clean, non-smoking property.
4. Space—There’s an open (as in no doors) closet system with hangars, a suitcase rack, an additional bench for extra bags/luggage, and sufficient table-/counter-top space for your personal belongings.
5. Kitchen(ette)—A mini ‘frig with adjustable shelves is in each guestroom.
6. Coffee/Tea—A coffee maker with basic supplies is provided.
7. Glassware/Ice—Glass vessels await chilling in the mini ‘frig. An ice/water machine is located in the hallway near the elevators; pitchers are on a shelf nearby (call housekeeping if you prefer a clean one from the kitchen).
8. Tub/Shower—The walk-in shower has dual rainshower / handheld heads. You can toggle between the two options. Bottles of shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner hang on the shower walls. Hand soap and body milk are near the sink.
9. Temperature—Adjust the room temperature to suit personal preferences. The HVAC system is noisy.
10. Linens/Mattress—Linens are in new condition. The mattress was comfortable.
11. Hooks—I was able to find a place for everything that I needed to hang in the guestroom and bathroom. If I was sharing the bathroom, however, additional hooks/towel bars would have been welcome.
12. Hair Dryer—A nice blow dryer hangs on the wall in easy reach. No scavenger hunt to find one hiding in a nasty bag somewhere here!
13. Window Treatments—Draperies darken the room and offer privacy.
14. Seating—My king guestroom offered a pull-out sofa plus a desk chair.
15. Work-Friendly—Free high-speed wireless Internet. In-room desk. The hotel has a total of 8 meeting rooms, including 5 flexible event and meeting spaces.
16. Outlets—Recharge with ease.
17. Pet-Friendly—Pets are allowed with a non-refundable $100 fee. Max 45 pounds.
18. Service—Staff members are friendly and helpful.
19. Pool/Hut Tub—High Note rooftop bar features an outdoor swimming pool, cabanas, meeting space, state-of-the-art health and fitness, plus an outdoor entertaining area with firepits.
20. On-Site Amenities—There’s a business center / “library” in the lobby. Coin operated laundry, valet dry cleaning, and car rental services are available on site. Complimentary newspapers are available in the lobby each morning. Cable TV options include Atlanta-based CNN as well as HBO and ESPN. Guestroom TVs are equipped with Internet streaming services.
21. Accessibility—Mobility-accessible rooms available. Discuss options that can accommodate your specific needs when making a reservation. The hotel is located in Midtown, the heart of Atlanta’s art scene with over 25 cultural venues, more than 30 performing arts centers, and 20 entertainment venues. It’s within walking distance of Piedmont Park and the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Hop on MARTA to reach even more of Atlanta without a car.
With a combined 288 rooms and suites, AC Hotel Atlanta Midtown and Moxy Atlanta Midtown make up Marriott’s first-ever combination of the AC and Moxy brands under one roof. It’s the first Moxy Hotel in Georgia and the third AC Hotel in Atlanta. Both are LEED-certified hotels.
Facing 14th Street, the sleek AC Hotel Atlanta Midtown offers 133-rooms with sophisticated, sleek design elements; plush seating; and multifunctional workspaces. Playing off the muted palette of the interiors, the hotel showcases abstract sculptures.
Facing 13th Street, the millennial-inspired Moxy Atlanta Midtown offers 155-rooms and communal areas with industrial features including reclaimed pallet ceilings and iron finishes.
Working alongside the Midtown Alliance, the hotel has established a pedestrian connector called the Arts Walk. The hotel’s ground-level path will provide connectivity between 13th and 14th Streets while featuring installations from local artists. The Arts Walk will eventually span from 10th Street to the Woodruff Arts Center.
AC Hotel Atlanta Midtown
53 14th Street NE
Atlanta GA 30309
– Photos © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion. Thanks to AC/Moxy for hosting my stay.