By Hope S. Philbrick
If you want to experience “The South” and you can only go to one place, consider The Beaufort Inn.
Whether you’re looking for historic or contemporary, you’ll find it here along with gracious hospitality, local charm, wide porches and spacious patios, blooming gardens, a festive spirit, and comfort with a mix of kitsch and class.
After renovations and expansions to add 20 more guestrooms, The Beaufort Inn now occupies a whole block. It’s multiple buildings under one brand name: There’s the charming B&B housed in the historic Smith Wallace Mansion plus now a collection of renovated cottages and houses.
You could enjoy a very leisurely day without stepping off the property: Relax in a comfy chair on the front porch or on the patio near the fire pit. Take a nap or stroll through the gardens. Read a book or magazine, watch TV, or soak in a deep bath. However you spend your day, plan on sleeping well at night once you slip between soft sheets and let the hum of cicadas lull you off to dreamland.
The Beaufort Inn’s relaxed vibe might make you want to stay put, which is a perfectly fine option, but it’s also close to places worth visiting.
Located in the National Landmark Historic District of downtown Beaufort, S.C., The Beaufort Inn is the town’s grand pink ambassador. Walk to the award-winning Waterfront Park and Bay Street, which is filled with art galleries, antique shops, boutique stores and restaurants. Tour residential streets lined with fine examples of Antebellum architecture and live oaks draping with Spanish moss. You could walk alone, take a guided tour, or even enjoy an informative, entertaining horse drawn carriage ride. Prefer water? Paddle a kayak. Willing to drive a bit? Don’t miss the historic Penn Center, a Reconstruction Era National Monument Site and partner of the U.S. National Park service. There’s a whole lot to do in and around “beautiful Beaufort by the sea.”
The Beaufort Inn is a popular choice for weddings, but if you’re there when one is taking place, fret not—it won’t impose upon your experience as a guest in any way. It’s happened to me twice and I felt as pampered by the staff of The Beaufort Inn as if I were the bride.
- 48 guest accommodations, including standard rooms, cottages, lofts and townhomes—some with kitchens, fireplaces, balconies and/or soaking tubs
- Complimentary breakfast (a gift card that’s valid at your choice of nearby establishments)
- Afternoon snacks & refreshments
- Free parking
- Complimentary Wireless High-Speed Internet Access
- Free local phone calls and voicemail
- Each room has a complimentary coffee maker and basic supplies
- Day Spa on site
- Huntington Island State Park beach pass
- Complimentary bicycles to explore Downtown Beaufort or the Spanish Moss Trail
- S’mores supplies
- Limited number of dog-friendly rooms available upon advance request
- Odds of Encountering Children: Possible, but less likely than at a national chain hotel
- Southern Graces, the former award-winning on-site restaurant, is no longer in operation
The Beaufort Inn
809 Port Republic St.
Beaufort SC 29902
-Photos courtesy The Beaufort Inn
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion. Thanks to Discover South Carolina, Visit Beaufort, and The Beaufort Inn for organizing and hosting the pre-FAM for journalists in prior to the Travel South 2019 conference.