Proof that history can be respected even when it’s extensively renovated, this building that once housed the 1913 landmark Winecoff Hotel is now boutique chic.
By Hope S. Philbrick
Located smack in the heart of downtown, The Ellis Hotel provides what you need plus plenty of stuff you didn’t even know that you needed like a floor reserved exclusively for women and eco-friendly practices that have earned the property National Green Seal certification at the Silver level.
The décor incorporates Southern and European style without compromising comfort or function. Whether you rest your head against the ostrich leather headboard to watch the LCD television, sink into the pillow-top mattress while recharging your iPod on the docking station, or wash up under the rain showerhead, you’ll find respite from the city hubbub.
The Ellis Hotel
176 Peachtree St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30303
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- 100% smoke-free
- A few rooms offer a bathtub. There is no pool.
- Room amenities include coffee makers. In addition, complimentary coffee is served daily from 6:30 to 11:30 a.m. Complimentary wine is available each evening from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Valet for $23 a day or self-park at nearby public garages.
- There is no airport shuttle service; however, MARTA trains run from the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport to the Peachtree Center station directly across the street. *Fun Fact: The Peachtree Center station is the deepest station in the MARTA rail system, at 120 feet or 36 meters below Peachtree Street and is home of the longest escalators in the Southeastern U.S.
- There’s a women’s floor, but that doesn’t mean adults only. Children are permitted, but Downtown Atlanta is more often a destination choice for business and overseas travelers; the Luckie Marietta District or suburbs are more popular picks for families.
- For a real treat, book the two-room Presidential Suite (though every room offers a stylish blend of comfort and function).
- Terrace serves upscale sustainable fare with foodstuffs sourced from 27 local farms; enjoy dining in the on-site restaurant or via room service.
- Enjoy an in-room couple’s massage from the skilled therapists from Flavours Spa.
- Rates start at $199 per night.
—Photo Credits: king bed by Erik S. Lesser for the New York Times; all photos courtesy of The Ellis Hotel.
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.