Stay for full-service pampering with heart.
By Hope S. Philbrick
This is no dorm.
The Hotel at Kirkwood Center is a teaching facility, where community college students work alongside professionals as part of their coursework. So as a guest, you’re automatically enrolled as a test subject—but fear not: you won’t feel trapped in some goofy maze, you’ll feel pampered.
Once you step inside this upscale contemporary hotel, you’ll forget that it’s located on the Kirkwood Community College campus. The Euro-chic lobby is spacious, sparkling clean, and bursting with eye-popping décor and original artwork. The kind folks at the front desk are eager to serve and efficient. Heavenly aromas waft from the adjacent restaurant kitchen. Your guestroom may be the biggest accommodations you’ve ever snagged at a hotel, leading you to reasonably wonder if they mistakenly upgraded you a suite. Is this heaven? No, Iowa.
A night here has more heart than an average hotel experience. The atmosphere is electrified with the passion of professionals who want to pass on their expertise, of students eager to learn and launch careers, and the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing that you’re helping students achieve their goals. It’s a win/win/win.
Guests arguably score most: This place has earned the AAA Four Diamond rating—one of only two Four Diamond rated hotels in Iowa. Expect grandeur, luxury, top-notch service and you won’t be disappointed.
Also expect deliciousness: The on-site The Class Act Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. The menus showcase local ingredients in a range of creative, eclectic dishes that delight the eyes as much as the taste buds. Expect gourmet presentations, global flavors and attentive service.
On average, more than 300 students are enrolled in Kirkwood Hospitality programs during the academic year, earning degrees in Hotel Management, Culinary Arts and Restaurant Management. There’s a one-to-one service employee to guest ratio, so the level of personal attention you’ll get here will likely exceed what you’ve experienced at other hotels.
The Hotel’s vision is to prepare the finest professionals to lead the global hospitality industry. Graduates have landed jobs across the nation and even internationally. So whether you make it to Cedar Rapids for a first-hand guest experience or not, odds are good that you’ll come face-to-face with Kirkwood Hospitality at some point during your travels.
Look forward to it.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- 71 contemporary rooms, including six deluxe suites, available 365 days per year
- 4 ADA Compatible Rooms (including a Presidential Suite)
- Located minutes from the Eastern Iowa Airport (CID) and Interstates 80 and 380
- Dine on-site at The Class Act Restaurant, which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner every day; there’s also a in-room dining and a bar
- Fitness center
- Business center and extensive meeting facilities
- Valet laundry and dry-cleaning services
- Shuttle service
- Valet parking
- Concierge services
- In-room coffee makers with basic supplies
- Artwork by professional Iowa artists and Kirkwood students is featured throughout the hotel
- Rates from $114
- Odds of Encountering Children: Relatively low; the hotel is most popular with corporate travelers, especially during the week.
The hotel has many eco-friendly design elements, including…
- Seven pumps freeze ice in nine units late at night when energy rates are lowest. That trapped ice melts the next day to cool classrooms, kitchens and the restaurant when daytime electric rates are much higher. This system works in cooperation with geothermal ground heat exchanges.
- Controls continually monitor kitchen cooking surfaces.
- Six high-efficiency water heaters provide hot water.
- Motion detectors turn lights off when rooms are vacant.
The Hotel at Kirkwood Center
7725 Kirkwood Boulevard SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404
– Photos courtesy The Hotel at Kirkwood Center
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.