Enjoy fall in rural North Carolina with the Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association and its friends.
By Hope S. Philbrick
The 16 members of the Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association recently announced their 2016 Fall Farms and Artisans tour package.
The self-guided driving tour winds through the Sandy Mush community in Leicester, N.C. (located about 20 minutes outside of Asheville) and showcases three Western North Carolina farms, a vineyard and five artisans. Book the package and accommodations with a member inn then work with your innkeeper to customize a personal tour of Sandy Mush, calling ahead to schedule appointments with each stop.
Potential farm stops include Long Branch Environmental Center, where founder Paul Gallimore—described as a modern-day Johnny Appleseed, shares conservation tips plus sells his apples and cider. You can also meet the sheep, llamas, goats and folks at Sandy Hollar Farm, and stock up on wool and wool products while there. Among the artisans is the studio of renowned potter Matt Jones, Laurie W. Brown’s quilt studio, painter Christine Hield’s Sky Dance Art studio, June Hawkins’ Fiber Arts studio, and Friendswood Brooms, where Marlow Gates makes brooms almost too pretty to use and photographer Diana Gates sells her images.
The package is available September 16 through November 13, 2016 and includes:
- Two nights lodging at an Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association Inn.
- Picnic lunch from your innkeeper.
- A map of the Sandy Mush Artisan Trail drawn by a local artist.
- 10 percent off wine tastings and a complimentary glass at Addison Farms Vineyard.
- 10 percent off purchases at Sandy Hollar Farm, including honey, beeswax candles, fresh fruit and more.
- 10 percent off meat and egg purchases at Reeves Home Place Farm.
Our advice: Arrive with space in your trunk and a cooler because you’ll find tastes and treasures to fill it up at every stop.
Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association
The Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association is a group of diverse inns in and around Asheville, N.C. Each member inn must favorably reflect the Association’s high standards of quality, ambiance, service, amenities, integrity and hospitality. Several member inns do not allow children as guests: 21 Plus Salute! For more information call 828-250-0020 or call an individual member inn.
- Read more about A Bed of Roses B&B
- Read more about 1889 WhiteGate Inn & Cottage
- Read more about Chestnut Street Inn
- Read more about Beaufort House Inn
@21plusTravel Tip: Fall is a popular time to visit adults-oriented Asheville, North Carolina. Book early!
– Photos by Des Keller courtesy the Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion.