By Hope S. Philbrick
Rarely does a hotel deliver on a promise almost immediately as you step through the guestroom door for the first time. But TownPlace Suites Marriott in Parkersburg, West Virginia does just that.
After pushing open the door to what would be my home base for four nights, I glanced to the right and noticed a hang tag on the closet door. “Closet Envy,” it bragged. “Stay organized on the road with an elfa closet from The Container Store.”
I can thank The Container Store’s elfa closets for making it possible for my husband and I to share a small closet for 11 years, but I’ve seen plenty of hotel closets, I thought. How much better could this one be?
I pulled open the door to WOW! First of all, the closet is painted orange. Not my personal favorite color, but it worked. The bold color actually made the tiny closet feel more welcoming somehow, and helped personal belongings pop, especially compared to the dark wood closets favored by many hotels. Lights further brightened the space, and they clicked on/off automatically whenever the door was opened/closed. Best of all, a shelf the same size as my suitcase was positioned at the perfect height (so I could just prop it open and use it as a drawer without stooping), and drawers were at the ready (and clean!) for unpacking anything I didn’t want to leave in the suitcase, plus there were shelves and plenty of hanging space.
That little closet was more convenient that the huge (but non-elfa) closet I now have at home. Indeed, closet envy set in!
The closet is just one thing that makes TownePlace Suites Marriott a great home away from home whether you’re planning to stay in Parkersburg for a night, weekend, or longer. The hotel boasts 84 suites on five floors and each room is thoughtfully laid out and furnished with everything you need, from upscale bath fixtures to a full-service kitchen, comfy sofa to spacious work station, cozy bed to space to sprawl.
The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Parkersburg, within easy walking distance or a short drive to all the area businesses and attractions.
The highest personal praise I can give Parkersburg WV is that I’m eager to go back, which is really saying something since I should stay home and work on improving my closet.
21 Point Inspection…
1. Adults Only/Odds of Encountering Children—Families with children may be among your fellow guests at this hotel.
3. Clean—Yes! Smoke-free property. Coin-operated laundry facilities available on-site.
4. Space—Guestrooms are spacious and offer an enviable closet to stash personal belongings.
5. Kitchen(ette)—Guestrooms offer user-friendly kitchenettes equipped with a conventional stove/oven, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and pots & pans as well as dishes & flatware.
6. Coffee/Tea—A coffee station is provided in the guestroom kitchenette. Complimentary beverages also available on the lobby level.
7. Glassware/Ice—There’s an ice maker in each in-room refrigerator/freezer. Glassware is provided, too…and a dishwasher to use if you have any doubts about its cleanliness.
8. Tub/Shower—All guest rooms have private bathrooms.
9. Temperature—You can adjust the room temperature to suit personal preferences.
10. Linens/Mattress—Crisp clean sheets dress comfy mattresses.
11. Hooks—Plenty of places to hang towels and/or your personal belongings.
12. Hair Dryer—Provided.
13. Window Treatments—Drapes off privacy and room darkening.
14. Seating—Upholstered seating is genuinely comfortable. There’s a small sectional, so you could invite a friend into your hotel room and sit somewhere other than the bed.
15. Work-Friendly—Free high-speed Internet. Spacious work station.
16. Outlets—Plentiful and easy to find.
17. Pet-Friendly—Yes. Maximum 2 per room, up to 50 lbs. $75 non-refundable fee.
18. Service—Staff members are all very friendly and helpful.
19. Pool/Hut Tub—Indoor pool.
20. On-Site Amenities—Free hot breakfast buffet. Fitness center. Fire pit. Weber grills. Two complimentary electric car-charging stations. Copy & fax services.
21. Accessibility— Many local attractions and sporting/recreation venues are less than 10 miles from the hotel. Mobility accessible rooms are available. Discuss options to accommodate your specific needs when making a reservation.
21+ Spots in Parkersburg WV…
- Grab a drink and/or burger at North End Tavern & Brewery, which has been open since 1899!
- Sip a beer made on site at Parkersburg Brewing Co.
TownPlace Suites by Marriott Parkersburg
415 7th St.
Parkersburg WV 26101
– Photos © HSP Media LLC
Featured products, services and/or travel arrangements may have been complimentary in part or in full; this affords the research opportunity but does not sway opinion. Thanks to Visit Greater Parkersburg for hosting my stay.